The Must Read PSA Weekly Research Round-up (week to 04 Sep)
REPORTS: Japan’s Potential Old Tech Crisis: The Demise of the Printer Copier Business / Panasonic (6752 JT): Pain Now, Gain Later? / Toyota’s (7203 JT) Good Fundamentals but Slow Road to Recovery / Toyota’s (7203 JT) Risky EV Bet: Profitability Over Volumes / MARKET / STRATEGY: / A Warren Buffett market in Japan? / “Warren Buffett” style stocks in PSA’s Focus List / MACRO: / Jobs-to-applicants / FY20 Q2 profits and software spending / Industrial production surges in July / Plus additional INDUSTRY & COMPANY INSIGHTS
The Weekly Comment by Pelham Smithers
Should we heed signals of the end of the Japan frontier tech stock bubble and join Warren Buffet in buying old economy plays? And if so, which ones? Pelham Smithers gives his views.
Reports / Flash Notes Published This Week: Headlines at a Glance
1. Japan’s Potential Old Tech Crisis – The Demise of the Printer Copier Business
2. Panasonic (6752 JT) – Pain Now, Gain Later?
3. Toyota (7203 JT): Good Fundamentals but Slow Road to Recovery
4. Toyota’s (7203 JT) Risky EV Bet: Profitability Over Volumes
Company / Sector / Thematic Comments at a Glance
Technology: Consumer Electronics, Gaming
1. Apple (AAPL US) Orders 75mil 5G Phones
2. Sony (6758 JT) looking to Buy More Game Studios
3. DLE Inc (3686 JT) Still Looking to Become Japan’s TikTok
Technology: Industrial Electronics and Electronic Components
4. Hitachi’s (6501 JT) Strategic Initiative with Workhorse (WKHS US)
Technology: Semiconductor Production Equipment & Precision
5. July Camera Shipment Data Offers Some Encouragement, Mainly for Sony (6758 JT)
6. Japan’s Potential Old Tech Stock Crisis
Chemicals / Materials
7. Why Fujifilm (4901 JT) Consensus OP Exceeds Guidance
8. US Auto Sales Fall on Plunge in Fleet Sales, Fewer Selling Days
9. Honda (7267 JT) and GM (GM US) Expand Partnership
10. In an EV World, Toyota (7203 JT) Quietly Pursues Fuel Cell Path
Auto Parts / Machinery
11. Honda (7267 JT) Commences Supplier Merger Procedures
12. How Much Bad News Would Suga as PM be for Wireless Stocks?
Internet / eCommerce
13. An Update on the Government’s Cashless Point Reward Program – Maina Point
14. TIS (3626 JT) / NEDO to Test Driverless Last Mile Delivery in 2021
Market / Strategy
15. Did We Really Have a “Warren Buffett” Market in Japan Today Sep 3?
16. “Warren Buffett” Style Stocks in PSA Focus List
17. Industrial Production Surges in July
18. Jobs-To-Applicants / 2Q Profits / Software Spending – Read Across to TIS (3626 JT)
PSA Company Visits, Tours and Interviews
• Visited: Fujifilm Holdings (4901 JT), JSR (4185 JT), Showa Denko (4004 JT)
• Interviewed / Conference Call with: Mercari (4385 JT)
*If you would like access to the full weekly the reports highlighted, or the full Weekly (which includes the full comment) and if you would like to see the list of reports produced YTD, please contact our sales team.
You can also find PSA research on FactSet, Thomson Reuters (Reuters Knowledge, Thomson One Analytics, Starmine), Capital IQ, Bloomberg (under PSAZ < GO> or by typing in the < stock code> equity CN PSA), Research Exchange and ResearchPool.