The Weekly Comment by Pelham Smithers
Pelham Smithers considers the state of Japan’s economy as PM Suga steps down. The LDP system has delivered, he explains.
Reports / Flash Notes Published This Week: Headlines at a Glance
1. The Global Semiconductor Industry: Overheating or Just Warming Up?
2. Tokyo Electron (8035 JT): Capacity Increase Plans, R&D Key to Growth
Company / Sector / Thematic Comments at a Glance
Technology: Consumer Electronics, Gaming
1. China Limits Underage Gaming to Three Hours a Week
2. Japanese Dominating Gamescom Awards
3. Sony’s (6758 JT) PS5 Redesign Attracts Controversy
Technology: Industrial Electronics / Components / Semis & SPE / Precision
4. Murata’s (6981 JT) Quick Restart at Fukui Underscores Healthy MLCC Market
5. TSMC (2330 TT) Apparently Asking for 15% Price Cut from Suppliers
6. Western Digital (WDC US) Enquires About a Kioxia Merger
7. Renesas (6723 JT) Update on Dialog
8. Other Technology-Related News & Moves That Caught Our Eye
Chemicals / Materials
9. Shintech Closes Plants Due to Hurricane Ida
10. We Expect US PVC Plants May Be Offline for Two Weeks
11. Sumitomo Chemical (4004 JT), Adeka (4401 JT) Grow IC Materials
12. Mazda (7261 JT) Tries to its Tackle China Problem
13. Subaru (7270 JT) Shows Off All-New Solterra SUV EV
14. US August Auto Sales Fall on Chip Supply Shortage
Auto Parts / Machinery
15. Daikin’s (6367 JT) Record Listing Highs Continue
16. Ferrotec (6890 JT) Target Price Lift to ¥5,000
Internet / eCommerce
17. au Pay and d Barai Extend Their Free Periods
18. Other Internet / eCommerce News & Moves That Caught Our Eye
19. Other News & Moves That Caught Our Eye
Market / Strategy / Macro
20. After Suga, Who Next as PM?
21. Japan Software Spend Continues to Boom
22. Jobs Data Better Than Expected, While China’s PMI Data Remains Weak
PSA Company Visits, Tours and Interviews
1. Visited: Kaneka (4118 JT), Toyota Industries (6201 JT), Nabtesco (6268 JT), Diamond Electric (6699 JT), Ferrotec (6890)
2. Conference Calls with: giftee (4449 JT)
*If you would like access to the full weekly the reports highlighted, or the full Weekly (which includes the full comment) and if you would like to see the list of reports produced YTD, please contact our sales team.
You can also find PSA research on FactSet, Thomson Reuters (Reuters Knowledge, Thomson One Analytics, Starmine), Capital IQ, Bloomberg (under PSAZ < GO> or by typing in the < stock code> equity CN PSA), Research Exchange and ResearchPool.