The Weekly Comment by Pelham Smithers
Next week sees the start of September quarter earnings season in Japan. Are we set for another record-breaking quarter for Japanese earnings, asks Pelham Smithers.
Reports / Flash Notes Published This Week: Headlines at a Glance
1. Can Automakers Maintain Their FY21 Guidance Numbers?
2. Sansan Inc (4443 JT) Still Cautious Due to Covid
3. Are We Set for Another Record-Breaking Quarter for Japanese Earnings?
Company / Sector / Thematic Comments at a Glance
Technology: Consumer Electronics, Gaming
1. Sony (6758 JT) / TSMC (2330 TT) Linked to New US$7bil Fab in Japan
2. Sony’s Venom 2 Holds Up Despite James Bond Release
3. Nintendo (7974 JT) OLED Switch Sales Lacklustre
Technology: Industrial Electronics / Components / Semis & SPE / Precision
4. Readacross to Semiconductor Plays from Apple’s Cut to Production Plans
5. TSMC (2330 TT) Confirms Japan IC Fab as 22nm/28nm
6. Might Renesas (6723 JT) Start Paying a Dividend Again?
7. Nidec (6594 JT) Supplies e-Axle to New Brand Zeekr
Chemicals / Materials
8. Fallout from the Fourth (?) Oil Shock
9. Shin-Etsu Chemical (4063 JT) a Beneficiary of Rising Soda Prices
10. US Auto Financial Services Continue to Perform Well
11. Nissan (7201 JT) Presents Intelligent Factory
12. Suzuki (7269 JT) Makes Progress in Europe
13. Toyota Motor (7203 JT): Strong US$ Could Add ¥85bil to Q3 OP / Production Levels
14. Toyota’s Production Plans Change – Again
15. Honda (7267 JT) Announces China EV Plans
Auto Parts / Machinery
16. Yaskawa (6506 JT) OP Outlook Good, but FY22 Top-Line Growth a Concern
Internet / eCommerce
17. VisasQ (4490 JT) Loses Money in 2Q
18. Disappointing Results for Demae-can (3484 JT)
19. Sansan (4443 JT) Shares Surge Following Earnings
20. Shift Inc (3697 JT) Has Strong FY21 Q4, but Market Ignores the Underwhelming Outlook
21. Money Forward’s (3994 JT) FY21 Q3 Results Suggest FY Guidance Beat is Possible
22. Other New & Moves that Caught Our Eye
*If you would like access to the full weekly the reports highlighted, or the full Weekly (which includes the full comment) and if you would like to see the list of reports produced YTD, please contact our sales team.
You can also find PSA research on FactSet, Thomson Reuters (Reuters Knowledge, Thomson One Analytics, Starmine), Capital IQ, Bloomberg (under PSAZ < GO> or by typing in the < stock code> equity CN PSA), Research Exchange and ResearchPool.