The Must Read PSA Weekly Research Round-up (week to 31 May)
REPORTS: Fiat Chrysler Renault Merger – Consequences for Nissan / Hitachi (6501 JT) as Third-Sector Sony (6758 JT) /
Harmonic Drive Systems’ (6324 JT) Resilience / MACRO: Does AIAI data suggest weak Q2 GDP, downward revision for Q1? / High RoEs continue to dominate Japan stock market performance / Plus 21 INDUSTRY & COMPANY INSIGHTS
The Weekly Comment by Pelham Smithers
Pelham Smithers comments on the relationship between the Japanese stock market level and Abe’s strategy options to prolong and cement his time at the helm of government
Reports / Flash Notes Published This Week: Headlines at a Glance
1. Fiat Chrysler (FCAU US) Renault (RNO FP) Merger: Consequences for Nissan (7201 JT)
2. Hitachi (6501 JT) as Third-Sector Sony (6758 JT)
3. Harmonic Drive Systems’ (6324 JT) Resilience
Company / Sector / Thematic Comments at a Glance
Technology: Consumer Electronics / Gaming
1. Sony (6758 JT) Closing in on Zee Entertainment (Z IN)
2. Sony Reveals Release Date for Death Stranding, Delays Last of Us 2
3. Are Handsets a Zero-Sum Game?
4. Square Enix (9684 JT) Has a Hit with its Mobile Game Romancing Saga
5. Nintendo (7974 JT) Launches Labo Toy-Con VR Goggles
Technology: Electronic Components and Precision
6. Hitachi (6501 JT) as the Third-Sector Sony (6758 JT)
7. Rohm (6963 JT) Underlines Japan’s Q1 Inventory Problem
8. Is the Worst Over for the MLCC Plays?
9. Punchy Targets at Tokyo Electron (8035 JT)
Chemicals / Materials
10. TDK’s (6762 JT) Huawei Exposure
11. Nippon Shokubai (4114 JT) and Sanyo Chemical (4471 JT) Consider Combining
12. Mitsui Chemicals (4183 JT) to Manufacture EUV Pellicles with ASML (ASML NA)
13. Automakers Will be Hurt by US Import Tariffs Imposed on Mexico
14. China EV Sales Growth Decelerates in April – The End of the Sales Boom?
15. Fiat Chrysler Proposes Merger with Renault
16. Toyota (7203 JT) Plans to Invest in Didi Chuxing to Set up New Mobility Service
Internet / eCommerce
17. Kitanotatsujin’s (2930 JT) Hyalo Deep Patch sees Strong Demand
18. Pure-Play AI Companies Enjoy Rally
19. April Performance at Cybozu (4776 JT)
20. Telecom companies jostling on pricing
21. Astellas (4503 JT): Can Xospata Offset Patent Cliff Issues?
Macro / Market
22. Does AIAI Data Suggest Weak Q2 GDP, Downward Revision for Q1?
23. High RoE Continues to Lead to Stock Market Performance
PSA Company Visits, Tours and Interviews
• Visited: Koito (7276 JT), IHI (7013 JT)
• Attended earnings meetings / participated in earnings calls at: PayPal (PYPL US) webcast of Moffett Nathanson’s Inaugural Payments, Processors and IT Services Summit.
• Attended strategy / mid-term plan announcement meetings at:
• Interviewed / Conference Call with: Denso (6902 JT), Harmonic Drive Systems (6324 JT), Nabtesco (6268 JT)
*If you would like access to the full weekly the reports highlighted, or the full Weekly (which includes the full comment) and if you would like to see the list of reports produced YTD, please contact our sales team.
You can also find PSA research on FactSet, Thomson Reuters (Reuters Knowledge, Thomson One Analytics, Starmine), Capital IQ, Bloomberg (under PSAZ < GO> or by typing in the < stock code> equity CN PSA), Research Exchange and ResearchPool.