The Weekly Comment by Pelham Smithers
Pelham Smithers comments on Hitachi’s IR Day, which he was pleased to discover was more worthwhile than expected.
Reports / Flash Notes Published This Week: Headlines at a Glance
1. Shinko Electric (6967 JT) – Upside Potential
2. Toyota’s Electrification Strategy – Getting the Message Across
Company / Sector / Thematic Comments at a Glance
Technology: Consumer & Industrial Electronics / Electronic Components / Semis & SPE
1. Japan Goes National with Its Semiconductor Project
2. Tokyo Electron’s (8035 JT) Research Deal with ASML Set to Secure NA EUV Era Market
3. Growing ARM-Based CPU Adoption Seen as a Positive for Shinko, Ibiden
4. Other Tech News & Moves That Caught Our Eye
Chemicals / Materials
5. Showa Denko (4004 JT): To Divest PWBs / Working with Seagate on HAMR Tech-Based Media
6. Is the Market Too Pessimistic About TDK (6762 JT)?
7. Nissha’s (7815 JT) Medical Business Looks Promising
Auto Parts / Machinery
8. Daikin (6699 JT): Further M&A to Weigh on Medium-Term OPM
9. Diamond Elec (6699 JT) FY20 Results Call Neutral but We Remain Positive
10. Komatsu (6301 JT) / HCM (6305 JT): China Competition Tough; Read Across to Nabtesco (6268 JT)
11. May Machine Tool Orders +140% YoY Should Benefit Fanuc (6954 JT)
Internet / eCommerce / Fintech
12. Internet / eCommerce Moves & News That Caught Our Eye
13. Japan MedTech Stocks Rally on Hopes for Clearer Regulation
14. KKR to Raise Investments in Japanese Cloud Software Start-Ups: Report
15. Money Forward (3994 JT) to Move to TSE1
16. PKSHA (3993 JT) Teams up with: Microsoft’s Teams
17. Eisai (4523 JT) / Biogen (BIIB US): Aducanumab Decision / Aduhelm Prospects
18. Vaccination Program Plays Moving
19. MonotaRO’s (3064 JT) May Sales +19%
20. Other Moves & News That Caught Our Eye
PSA in the Press
Financial Times: “Unhedged: we are Japan, circa 1987 – Is a huge rally coming?” by Robert Armstrong [June 9th]. Pelham Smithers recalls lessons from the past with regard to earnings, the yen and the economy.
PSA Company Visits, Tours and Interviews
• Visited: TDK (6762 JT), Kaneka (4118 JT), Mitsui Chemicals (4183 JT), Toyota Ind (6201 JT), Diamond Electric (6699 JT), Daikin (6367 JT)
• Conference Calls with: Email Q&A with Medley Inc, Olympus (7733 JT), Diamond Electric (6699 JT)
• Presentations at: Fujifilm Holdings (4901 JT), Mitsui Chemicals (4183 JT), Nissha (7915 JT), Ohara Inc (5218 JT), Daikin (6367 JT)
*If you would like access to the full weekly the reports highlighted, or the full Weekly (which includes the full comment) and if you would like to see the list of reports produced YTD, please contact our sales team.
You can also find PSA research on FactSet, Thomson Reuters (Reuters Knowledge, Thomson One Analytics, Starmine), Capital IQ, Bloomberg (under PSAZ < GO> or by typing in the < stock code> equity CN PSA), Research Exchange and ResearchPool.