The Weekly Comment by Pelham Smithers
This week the EU Commission presented its new climate plan, ‘Fit for 55’, which outlines policies for reducing 2030 net greenhouse gas emissions by 55% compared to 1990 levels. Julie Boote discusses what this means for auto assemblers in general and Japan’s assemblers in particular.
Reports / Flash Notes Published This Week: Headlines at a Glance
1. Shift Inc (3697 JT) – From “Stocking Filler” to Coveted Place under the Christmas Tree?
2. Ferrotec Holdings Corp (6890 JT) FY21 Q1 Focus
3. Nidec’s (6594 JT) EV-Related Business Gains Traction
Company / Sector / Thematic Comments at a Glance
Technology: Consumer Electronics, Gaming
1. The Mixed Success of Sony’s (6758 JT) ‘State of Play’ Release
2. Emmy Nominations Underscore Newfound Breadth at Sony TV
3. Square Enix (9684 JT) – Temporarily Halts Digital Sales of Final Fantasy XIV
4. Why is the Switch OLED Priced at $349?
5. Netflix (NFLX US) to Offer Video Games on it Streaming Service
6. Will UK MPs Drive Change to Streaming Revenues, Splits?
Technology: Industrial Electronics / Components / Semis / SPE / Precision
7. Murata’s (6981 JT) Solid-State Battery Selling to Industrial Machinery Industry
8. Nikon’s (7731 JT) Special Edition Z fc Mirrorless Camera Disappoints
9. Other Tech-Related News & Moves That Caught Our Eye
Chemicals / Materials
10. TSMC’s (2330 TT) Analyst Call Delivers Mixed Messages for Japan
11. Chip Shortage Continues to Hurt the Auto Industry
12. Return of Auto Shows, but Differently
Auto Parts / Machinery
13. Positive Reaction to Yaskawa (6506 JT) Results Moves Fanuc (6954 JT) Higher
14. Diamond Electric (6699 JT) Settling Near Fair Value
15. Other Machinery-Related Moves and News That Caught Our Eye
Internet / eCommerce
16. PayPay vs pring
17. Z Holdings (4689 JT) Group Payments Sites to Offer BNPL
18. Green Light for Money Forward (3994 JT) / Cybozu (4776 JT) to Join TSE Premium Market
19. Sansan (4443 JT) Expects Further Heavy Investments in FY21
20. Money Forward’s (3994 JT) FY21 Q2 Sales Ahead of Market Estimates
21. Bitter Pill for Eisai (4523 JT)
22. Other Moves & News That Caught Our Eye
Market / Strategy / Macro
23. Evidence of Japan’s Economy Slowing
PSA Company Visits, Tours and Interviews
• Call with: Nidec (6594 JT)
*If you would like access to the full weekly the reports highlighted, or the full Weekly (which includes the full comment) and if you would like to see the list of reports produced YTD, please contact our sales team.
You can also find PSA research on FactSet, Thomson Reuters (Reuters Knowledge, Thomson One Analytics, Starmine), Capital IQ, Bloomberg (under PSAZ < GO> or by typing in the < stock code> equity CN PSA), Research Exchange and ResearchPool.