The Weekly Comment by Pelham Smithers
Two weeks into trading for 2021 and Japan has enjoyed a decent start.
Pelham Smithers reviews what has driven the performance thus far and notes that we seem to be more of a stock pickers’ market rather than the more stylized and thematic markets that we saw through much of 2020.
Reports / Flash Notes Published This Week: Headlines at a Glance
1. Sony (6758 JT) – Can it Double its Operating Profit to ¥1.5tril by FY25?
Company / Sector / Thematic Comments at a Glance
Technology: Consumer Electronics, Gaming
1. Sony Vision-S One Year On
2. Imagineer’s (4644 JT) Game for the Switch is Packing a Punch in Sales
Technology: Industrial Electronics and Electronic Components
3. NEC (6701 JT) Launches its “Wise Vision Endoscopy” AI service in Europe and Japan
Technology: Semiconductor Production Equipment & Precision
4. SPE Plays Bought Up on TSMC (2330 TT) Results and Capex Plans
5. The NAND Conundrum
6. New CEO at Intel (INTC US) – Read Across to Japanese Supply Chain Names
7. Canon (7751 JT) Ups FY20 Targets
Technology: Bitcoin / Cryptocurrency and Blockchain
8. Bitcoin Sell-off Sends GMO Internet (9449 JT) Lower
Chemicals / Materials
9. Mitsubishi Gas Chemical’s (4182 JT) 5G Exposure
10. Further Auto Production Cuts on Global Chip Shortage
11. Toyota (7203 JT) Fined for Violating Reporting Requirements
12. Renault’s FCV JV – What it Means for Toyota
Auto Parts / Machinery
13. Yaskawa (6506 JT) Lifts FY20 OP Guidance by 22% on China Strength
14. China Drives Automation: Yaskawa (6506 JT) Hits New Listing Highs for 3 Days
Internet / eCommerce
15. Z Holdings’ (4689 JT) PayPay Takes Top Slot Among Finance Apps in Japan
16. BASE Inc (4477 JT) Forms an Alliance with note Inc
17. Recruit Holdings (6098 JT) Appoints New President and CEO
18. Sansan Performs Well in FY20 Q2, Will Move to TSE 1st Section
19. Money Forward (3994 JT) Beats Market Forecasts, But a Few Signs of Concern
20. Covid Cases in Japan
21. UK Greenlights Chugai Pharm’s (4519 JT) Actemra
22. Wholesale Electric Power Prices Higher
PSA Company Visits, Tours and Interviews
• Visited: Kanto Denka (4047 JT)
• Conference Calls with: Mitsubishi Gas Chemical (4182 JT)
• Contacted: Mitsubishi Gas Chemical (4182 JT)
*If you would like access to the full weekly the reports highlighted, or the full Weekly (which includes the full comment) and if you would like to see the list of reports produced YTD, please contact our sales team.
You can also find PSA research on FactSet, Thomson Reuters (Reuters Knowledge, Thomson One Analytics, Starmine), Capital IQ, Bloomberg (under PSAZ < GO> or by typing in the < stock code> equity CN PSA), Research Exchange and ResearchPool.