The Weekly Comment by Pelham Smithers
In a week which has seen Japan’s weighting in the MSCI World index further diminished, Pelham Smithers emphasises how active, informed investment is the key to successful investment in Japan.
Reports / Flash Notes Published This Week: Headlines at a Glance
1. Ferrotec (6890 JT) – Semiconductor Earnings Leading FY21 and FY22 OP
Company / Sector / Thematic Comments at a Glance
Technology: Consumer Electronics, Gaming
1. Is the Metaverse for Work or Play?
2. Is the Smartphone Boom Over?
3. Zoom (6694 JT) Sues Zoom (ZM US)
4. Sony’s (6758 JT) Acquisition Spree Continues
5. Koei Tecmo (3635 JT) Announces CB and Buyback
Technology: Industrial Electronics / Components / Semis & SPE / Precision
6. PC Build Prices Continue to Rise
7. Other Tech-Related Moves & News That Caught Our Eye
Chemicals / Materials
8. Mitsubishi Chemical (4188 JT) to Exit Petrochemicals
9. Nissan (7201 JT) Presents its Electrification Plan
10. First Signs of Improvement on the Auto Chip Front
11. US November Auto Sales Fall on Chip Supply Shortage
Internet / eCommerce
12. Z Holdings (4689 JT) Issues PayPay Card
13. Giftee (4449 JT) Issues a CB and New Shares
14. GA Technologies’ (3491 JT) Share Exchange with DL Holdings
15. Other Internet / eCommerce Moves & News That Caught Our Eye
16. Enechange (4169 JT) Plunges Following New Share Issuance Plans
17. Money Forward (3994 JT) to Buy AI Chatbot Firm / Revised Down FY21 Target
18. Miserable Day for IT Services
19. Concerns on Alibaba (BABA US) Losing its US ADR Sends SoftBank Group (9984 JT) Lower
20. Other News & Moves That Caught Our Eye
Market / Strategy / Macro
21. Economic Data Remains Mixed
PSA Company Visits, Tours and Interviews
• Visited: Fujifilm Holdings (4901 JT), Asahi Kasei (3407 JT), Nabtesco (6268 JT), Daikin (6367 JT), Daifuku (6383 JT)
• Presentations at: Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings (4188 JT), Asahi Kasei (3407 JT), Mitsui Chemicals (4183 JT), Sakai Chemical (4078 JT)
*If you would like access to the full weekly the reports highlighted, or the full Weekly (which includes the full comment) and if you would like to see the list of reports produced YTD, please contact our sales team.
You can also find PSA research on FactSet, Thomson Reuters (Reuters Knowledge, Thomson One Analytics, Starmine), Capital IQ, Bloomberg (under PSAZ < GO> or by typing in the < stock code> equity CN PSA), Research Exchange and ResearchPool.