The Must Read PSA Weekly Research Round-up (week to 21 Jul)
Reports Published on Shin-Etsu Chemical / Canon / Trends in the LiB Separators Market / Yaskawa
The Weekly Comment by Pelham Smithers
With Abe under pressure, last week saw the media examining whether Kuroda can be dislodged as BoJ governor. With the labour market tightening, can wages go up? – and are we then talking about inflation at last?
Reports / Flash Notes Published This Week: Headlines at a Glance
1. Chemicals: Shin-Etsu Chemical (4063) – Pillars of Strength
2. Telecoms: SoftBank (9984): Conglomerate or Investment Vehicle?
3. Materials: Trends in the LiB Separator Market – New Machines May Level the Playing Field and Speed Commoditization
4. Electronics: Yaskawa (6506) Reports Outstanding FY17 Q1 Results
Company / Sector / Thematic Comments at a Glance
Technology: Consumer Electronics / Gaming
1. Sony (6758): Comparison with Netflix / Ends Movie Funding Deal with Lone Star
2. Nintendo (7974): Planning to Exit Handhelds?
3. Video Games Stats: PS4 Outsells Switch Sales (Again) Thanks to Square Enix’s Reissue of FF12
4. Gumi (3903): Encouraging Pre-Launch Registration Figures
Technology: Industrial Electronics / Precision / Electronic Components
5. Canon (7751): The Nikkei Provides Punchy Numbers
6. Apple Production Update – Spotlight on Taiyo Yuden (6976)
7. Nidec (6594): FY17 Q1 Preview
8. Toshiba (6502): US Court Non-Decision
Chemicals / Electronic Materials
9. TSMC (2330 TT): Guidance Looks Good for Shin-Etsu Chemical (4063) but Not for JSR (4185)
10. Fujifilm (4901): Alzheimer’s Trial – a Success or a Failure?
11. LiB Plays Continue to Rise
Autos / Auto Parts / Machinery
12. Yaskawa (6506): Outstanding FY17 Q1 Results, Revises up 1H and FY
13. NOK (7240): Revises up FY17 1H / FY Forecasts, on Oil Seals Rather than Smartphone FPCs
14. Robot / Automation Plays Hitting Highs
Telecom / Internet
15. SoftBank (9984): T Mobile’s Results Augur Well for Sprint
16. Yahoo Japan (4689): The Move to Browser Games / Read-Across to Square Enix (9684)
17. DeNA (2432): Jam Tomorrow – Core Game Strategy Underwhelms
18. CyberAgent (4751): We Continue to Have Faith in AbemaTV
19. Astellas (4503): Gilteritinib Gets Orphan Drug Status / Sector Faves Reiterated
PSA Company Visits, Tours and Interviews
• Telephone Call with Showa Denko (4004) / Earnings Teleconference Call with Yaskawa (6506)
List of PSA Published Reports Since Q2 2017 to Date
If you would like access to the full reports, or see the full list of reports published, please call your PSA sales representative.
You can also find PSA research on FactSet, Thomson Reuters (Reuters Knowledge, Thomson One Analytics, Starmine), Capital IQ, Alpha Exchange and Bloomberg (under PSAZ or by typing in the equity CN PSA ), or contact your sales representative.