The Must Read PSA Weekly Research Round-up (week to 01 Dec)
Reports on Capcom / Nissan / Tech Strategy and Weekly Comment Discussing 5G Issues, Contenders and Defenders
The Weekly Comment by Pelham Smithers
A huge extended economy should benefit from increased data consumption and storage that will result from 5G take-up. Issues, contenders (including the public purse) and defenders are discussed.
Reports / Flash Notes Published This Week: Headlines at a Glance
1. Gaming: Capcom (9697) – The Next Square Enix?
2. Autos: Nissan (7201) FY17 Guidance Question – US Performance Key to Outlook
3. Tech Strategy – Is This the Peak for Capital Good Stocks?
Company / Sector / Thematic Comments at a Glance
Technology: Consumer Electronics / Industrial Electronics / Electronic Components / Precision / SPE
1. Bandai Namco (7832): Tamagotchi AR App Might Really Move the Needle
2. Capcom (9697): In Cross-Licensing Deal with Colopl (3668) / Mobile Gaming Specialists
3. Sony (6758): Watching Out for Reactions to the New Jumanji Movie
4. NEC (6701): Sample Shipments of NB-FPGA chips; Potential NAND Replacement?
5. NAND Prices Seeing a Seasonal Quiet Period
6. Olympus (7733): Secondary Share Offering
7. Nidec (6594): Another Strategic Acquisition
Chemicals / Electronic Materials
8. Toray (3402): Potential Data Falsification Apparently Does Not Include Carbon Fiber
9. Sumitomo Chemical (4005): Strategy Meeting Highlights New Product Roadmap
10. Mitsui Chemicals (4183): ARRK Corp Bid is Another Step Away from Cyclical Materials
11. Nippon Paint (4612): Initial Bid for Axalta Proves Short-lived
12. Material Makers: Expansion in Carbon Fiber and EV-Related Products
13. Toyota (7203): The Battle to Survive Also Requires ‘New’ People
14. Mazda (7261): US Model Plans – The Introduction of Skyactiv X / HCCI Technology Reminder
15. Motorcycles Entering the AI World
16. Good News for the Honda (7267) Brand in the US
Auto Parts / Machinery
17. KHI (7012): Cobots with ABB
18. Fanuc (6954) Shows Off its Terminator-esque Robot at the iREX 2017 Robot Trade Fair
19. Daikin (6367) Firm Ahead of Our Upcoming Visit
20. Komatsu: Safer than Automation Plays?
21. Start Today (3092): Update on ZOZO Launch
22. DeNA (2432): Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp Downloaded 2x+ More Than Fire Emblem: Heroes
23. SoftBank (9984): Offer to Uber / Investors Selling at $33/shr
24. KDDi (9433): Worth Considering
25. 5G Spectrum: Auction Issues
26. Chugai (4519): gMSC-1 Moves to Phase III
27. Astellas (4503): Acquisition of Mitochondria Specialist, Mitobridge, Worth Watching
28. Santen (4536): Potential Bad News on Patent Battle in the US for Tafluprost
29. Data Continues to Show Economic Improvement but No Inflation
PSA Company Visits, Tours and Interviews
• Earnings meetings: Ishihara Sangyo (4028), Seiko Epson (6724), Fujitec (6404), Sinfonia (6507), Odelic (6889), Gakken Holdings (9470), Mamezou Holdings (3756), Kyoritsu Maintenance (9616)
• Strategy meetings: Sumitomo Chemical (4005), Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings (4188)
• Visited Showa Denko (4004), Sumco (3436), Nippon Shokubai (4114), Dexerials (4980), Nissan Chemical (4021)
• Had a conference call with Toray (3402), Start Today (3092)
List of PSA Published Reports since Sept 2017
(please contact our sales team for a copy)
If you would like access to the full reports, or see the full list of reports published, please call your PSA sales representative.
You can find PSA research on FactSet, Thomson Reuters (Reuters Knowledge, Thomson One Analytics, Starmine), Capital IQ, Alpha Exchange and Bloomberg (under PSAZ or by typing in the < stock code> equity CN PSA ), or contact your sales representative.